Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Short Stay In The Rainforest by Nia Kennedi Cunningham


   (excerpts from my personal journal)

   Day One: I have lost track of time, but it's our first morning at the Gurukula Botanical Sanctuary. This place almost feels like a dream, almost. Right now I am sitting outside of our “guest” bungalow listening to the birds chirping, malabar squirrels moving around in the trees, and the air around me is heavily scented with rainfall. The way the rains brighten the forest, is like when the sun sheds light on my face. Just as I smell the rain's nutrients in the soil and the leaves, I feel the sun kissing my face. The way our senses are interconnected with this experience of nourishment and knowing is brought to life in this space for me. Being surrounded by beautiful nature and knowing that people who care about the health and biodiversity of this space are pouring into it and nourishing it everyday makes me think about these things. How can the way we do things feel like the sun shining, and the rain falling? How can we reflect the nature that is within and around us while being subjected to urbanization and capitalism?

    Later that day: This morning we went on a walk within the sanctuary with Girish. He started it off with a moment’s affirmation. He started by giving gratitude to the abundance that surrounds us, that is within us. He mentioned how he is the mother and father of these plants and that they allow him/us to provide and support them as if we are supporting ourselves. In the moment it made me think about a quote I have written on a sticky note in my apartment that helps me through my days, “ Abundance is everywhere, beauty is within all things, see love, be love “ Being immersed into nature allows me to be reminded of all the abundance in the present moment that always exists despite other things going on. It allows me to dream outside of capitalistic boundaries that perpetuate ideas that make it seem like abundance is to be bought, stolen or controlled. It allows for the present moment to be remembered, connected to, and for nature to be at the center of that. 

    Day Two: Today after another garden walk, Ashvin asked if we wanted to go see the river. As a water sign, I  had to oblige. I didn't realize it was such a steep walk down, or that there were going to be so many leeches, but I made it. After watching Arjun jump in, l had to follow with a splash. Everyone was surprised I had jumped. The water felt so grounding, cooled me off, and it made me feel free, allowing the release of worry. The most freeing part of water is that it allows you to float. Much like the feeling of being detached, through being immersed into the forest. It’s a nuanced emotion because while it allows me to detach from worry, it is in fact allowing me to be connected to freedom. 

   Reflection: The time spent within the sanctuary brought up a lot of emotions. This space allowed me to be immersed with nature, to focus on the present moment and remember the abundance that naturally exists and that we are all connected to. The forest made me think about my attachment style and the ways I am deeply reliant on the comfort that capitalism provides. The space allowed me to be in a space where I could detach from normalized values, while also allowing me to confront the ways that even spaces like these can be limiting. The forest was a dream, and while the organization attached to it supported that dreamlike essence it is also exposed and affected by normalized ideals. The work they have done and continue to do is commendable. I enjoyed learning about their efforts to rewild the forest (the act of growing and sustaining native plants to then replant into the land), support women from nearby communities with work, and allow for people to experience the community they have sustained. While witnessing their impactful work, I was also reminded how these organizations, just like those back home, aren't perfect. We are all operating with the information and capacity that is accessible to us, which might not always be perfect, but that we all try to do our best. I felt that our stay could've been more accommodating and intellectually nourishing. I wanted to learn more about their relationship with the indigenous communities around them, and their structure as an organization, and the ways they have sustained it. Despite these shortcomings, overall, I am taking a lot away from our short stay in the rainforest. 


Photo by Gayatri Reddy

Photo by Nia Kennedi 

Photo by Nia Kennedi 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hume Warmed My Heart by Nia Kennedi Cunningham

        Walking into Hume after the hour-long drive made me feel kind of lethargic, but after the presentations they gave us, giving us an o...